Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Week 5: RSS Feeds and Custom Home Pages

The RSS feeds are neat. I signed up for the Bloglines (easy) and picked some of the items. Some of them I had no idea about what they were, but I chose the Shifted Librarian, Reuters News, and Quotes of the Day. I do love the way that it is easy to find and read the things you are interested in. I had already put NPR, the weather, the calendar, a to do list, google news, and CNN news on there already. It is just that I forget to open iGoogle.

One thing that comes to me daily is a Poem of the Day. I love that and think that is a great way to get poetry out there. I normally wouldn't read all those or look for them, but now they come to me. I also had downloaded a poetry widget for Poem in your Pocket day. That was a great way to find poems to use with my students.

How can libraries take advantage of these new technologies? I was thinking for my library web page that book review feeds would be great, but I'm not sure what is out there for kids. I could also see things like the quote of the day or word of the day being of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment